Atlanta, GA asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: I have lived with my boyfriend almost 16 years he died 2 weeks ago without a will

The land was in his and his brothers name the home his only he was legally still married but separated for over 25 yrs. He wanted me to always have a home here for long as I wanted if he died. Can his family kick me out and things we bought while together do I have to let them take it all

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Depending on how the land was held with his brother, the land now belongs to the brother or still remains in your boyfriend's name. Without a will from your boyfriend leaving you property, you will not inherit anything. Further, whomever does inherit will be able to evict you from the property. Because he was still married, his wife is probably going to be in control of the future of this estate.

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.