Palo Alto, CA asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for California

Q: May I claim this patent since is appears to be out of date? My ex-husband is no longer interested in owning it.

Patent # 5133501 Adjustable Sprinkler Riser. I helped him develop it and created the prototype. He got the patent in his name. He is no longer interested in it . I would like to renew the patent in my own name, please.

Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Moorestown, NJ

A: Sorry, but that patent is long gone.

Your husband failed to pay the 3rd maintenance fee, so it expired in July 2004. Even if he would have paid it, it would be expired about 11 years ago.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.