Evansville, IN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Kentucky

Q: In Kentucky can a harassment charge be dropped? Physical contact, no injury.. hearing coming up in a month

Boyfriend and I got in a fight. He tripped me. I pushed him in defense. He tackled me. I told him to get out. From there it turned into a mess of me panicking thinking he was going to hurt me and restraining him. Police came. Arrested no one. He said I choked him. Police noted no physical marks on anyone in the report. They approved an EPO for me denied him one. The hearing for the EPO dismissed it. By then any high emotions had dwindled. Neither one of us has ever had a charge or any record.. I received a summon for a harassment charge physical contact no injury. The officer said they’re required by law to submit it to the courts and if the EPO was dismissed then they’d likely also dismiss this case… I want to know if there is even a remote chance that the court might seek to persecute. My ex said to me on the phone that he wasn’t choked and that I pinned him down and that he was going to do what he could to not have them press charges.. is it possible? What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Dropping the charge is solely up to the prosecutor snd usually unlikely to happen in a domestic violence case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.