Tampa, FL asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for New Jersey

Q: My grandmother died with a reverse mortgage on her house with no co-borrowers. How soon can the lender take the house?

Family is searching for the latest Will. Nobody remembers the attorney's name to try to find her to get a copy of the Will. Can the lender call the loan due and/or foreclose on the house before the estate goes through probate? Can anyone else who lived in the house taking care of my grandmother get an extension on paying back the reverse mortgage? Can any potential heir get an extension before the Will is found proving they were to inherit all or part of the house? At what point in the process can the house be sold to get the money to pay back the reverse mortgage? If the lender takes the house and sells it, do they get to keep the amount of the sales price in excess of the loan or does the excess go back to my grandmother's estate? Also, is there a time frame on how soon probate has to be started after her death? Thanks!

2 Lawyer Answers
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: My best response is that you have raised many important issues that require extensive responses which are beyond the scope of the platform. The best thing to do is retain the services of an attorney who is familiar both with real estate law and probate law.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: This link answers most of your questions:


I am in Tennessee, but reverse mortgages are governed primarily by federal law, so the timing rules mentioned in this article would be the same in New Jersey except for the actual foreclosure process, which varies by state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.