Denver, CO asked in Child Custody for Colorado

Q: my children's father is in the hospital, do I have to send my kids for his time with his wife if he isn't there?

my children hate going there in the first place, the house is always filthy as my ex and his wife leave it a mess and leave it to pile up for our kids to clean it when they have to go to his house. He has been in the hospital for the past few days, my kids absolutely do not want to go. This is taking an emotional toll on our kids as they feel like he only wants them there to clean his house. The living conditions sounds that of a hoarders house (piled up dishes with dried food on them, soda cans all over the back yard and wont let the kids inside the house till they pick up all the soda cans they (not the children) threw out there, their laundry pilled up all week for the kids to do).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. If there is a court order allowing him parenting time, then you have to send the children. If you feel that a modification of parenting time is warranted, then you may be able to request a modification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.