Longmont, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: So my mom won’t let my dad have my dog over to his house cause my dog is comforting her new boyfriend who is bipolar

My mom and dad bought the dog and gave him to me my name is on his collar can I legally take my dog to my dads and leave him there? Also I would like for my dog to stay at my dads because he is diabetic and has kidney failure so I want my dog to be his service animal he wants that also. My dad also taught my dog everything he k it’s like sit stay all that stuff and he loves the dog more than any of us. Don’t know if this makes a difference but I am underage as well. Also my mom constantly smokes marijuana in the room with my dog and I’ve noticed he’s been a lot more mopey after she smokes in the room

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Yes legally you can take your dog to your dad’s house and leave him there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.