Duluth, GA asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant, Municipal Law and Public Benefits for Georgia

Q: What do I do when my HOA acts in an inappropriate manner?

1. HOA pools are defined as public in the department of public health document regarding pools. Public pools are smoke-free. But my HOA refuses to uphold a non-smoking rule.

2. The board member in charge on the grounds has a maintenance company and performed a job for the HOA. Conflict of interest? Legal?

3. The board did not hold an annual meeting in 2020, not even on Zoom.

4. The board is supposed to ask for written secret ballots - they announced they'll take candidates and votes from the floor of the annual meeting.

5. Board members drink alcohol at the pool, despite the sign saying no one should be under the influence.

I have more, but basically, this board is doing whatever they want as if they own all the properties here.

What can be done?

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: If the HOA is not policing itself, then you can either vote the Board off and correct it, or you can consult with a HOA attorney in your area, obtain your options and then decide how to proceed from there. If there are other members of the HOA who are like mind with you, then y'all may be able to pool your money together and have 1 attorney represent you. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.