Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Public Benefits Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant, Municipal Law and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: What do I do when my HOA acts in an inappropriate manner?

1. HOA pools are defined as public in the department of public health document regarding pools. Public pools are smoke-free. But my HOA refuses to uphold a non-smoking rule.

2. The board member in charge on the grounds has a maintenance company and performed a job for the HOA. Conflict of... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jun 16, 2021

If the HOA is not policing itself, then you can either vote the Board off and correct it, or you can consult with a HOA attorney in your area, obtain your options and then decide how to proceed from there. If there are other members of the HOA who are like mind with you, then y'all may be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: My husband was shot in his home about a week ago. We are legally married, but we've been separated for a while now.2kids

So I would like to know we what I should do. Also am I or my children entitled anything? He did not have a will or insurance. I could really use some help and guidance. Thank you

Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr. answered on Aug 6, 2020

As his wife, you are entitled to 1/3 of his estate and a year's support. His children are entitled to the remaining 2/3 and if they are under 18, they are entitled to a year's support as well. The separation is a non issue. Find a lawyer specializing in probate law. Because probate law... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Nursing Home Abuse, Probate and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: When someone is sentenced by a judge to 180 days in probation detention center. Will that person serve the whole 180?
Sean McIlhinney
Sean McIlhinney answered on Apr 5, 2020

Good question.

The answer it really depends on which jurisdiction the case is in. Some jails do 2 for 1 credit and some calculate jail time day for day. Also, because of the Coronavirus some jails are releasing persons jailed for less serious non violent crimes early.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Municipal Law and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: Is is legal for a PTA to auction off spots for cars in a "parent pick up line" ?

In an elementary school the parent pick up line starts to form more than 90 min before the students are released at the end of the day. The line is very long and the PTA has auctioned off the first two spots in the front of the line for the two parents (with the highest bid) to arrive anytime... Read more »

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Nov 8, 2019

I don't hear anything illegal about what you have described. As long as the school's administration approves and there are no safety or traffic laws broken, the PTA can auction off those coveted spots. On the other hand, enforcement may prove interesting!

-The Upshaw Law Firm,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: GA Code § 1-2-3 (2018) Under this code how is the citizenship of the state of Georgia is acquired?
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy answered on Jul 10, 2019

All citizens of the United States, resident in Georgia, are citizens of Georgia.

Ga. Const. 1983, Art. I, § I, ¶ VII.

Until citizenship is acquired elsewhere, a citizen of Georgia continues to be a citizen of the state and of the United States.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: how do I be a part of the senate in the state of Georgia in 2019?

I am a 29 year civilian ga resident in the state of ga.

I will be 30 years old in the next two months in August. What do I have to do? I have been a local resident in the city of Decatur for 10 years.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

in most states you petition to get on the ballot. Contact the Ga.Secretary of State's office. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Traffic Tickets for Georgia on
Q: I was going 70 in a 55. I’m 18.I have a clean record and I wanted know would my license be revoked and how many points
Forrest Clinton Barbour
Forrest Clinton Barbour answered on May 22, 2018

2 points. With no driving history, this should not suspend your license.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: My boyfriend is on a probation hold in Paulding county ga, what can I do?

He is on probation for aggravated assult and robbery, he was picked up 2 days for an accessory to a drive by shooting. Which he did not shoot only the driver

Robbie Levin
Robbie Levin answered on May 14, 2018

If he was involved in a shooting, while already on probation, your boyfriend should hire an attorney immediately. Not only is he facing probation violations, but he is likely facing new charges as well.

For more information, visit my website at

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: 3 kids not related to me I take care of for 1 month and the mom is not around how do I get custody
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill answered on Mar 9, 2018

You can't without the consent of a parent.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Military Law and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: We are married now and are eligibleFor housing, what do we need to show for this?

It states we can terminate if we become eligible for housing (military service members)

Patrick Korody
Patrick Korody answered on Feb 21, 2017

This is a state law question - you should go see the base legal assistance office or the base housing office. Generally, you need a letter on official letter head that meets the requirements of state law.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: Can a convicted child molesters live in public housing
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 4, 2016

Depends on current meghans law other rules.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Employment Law and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: My husband want his unemployment hearing. What are the chances of his employer winning an appeal to the board?

He won his hearing based on the fact that the employer didn't meet the burden of proof regarding warnings and Strikes because they claim there was a three-strike policy. The hearing to place over two days and his former employer did have an attorney. The boss did talk with my husband once... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 4, 2016

Hart to say--it depends on the adjudicator, how they felt. If he gets an employer decision then check with Ga.Legal Services/Legal Aid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.