Asked in Criminal Law and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: What lawyer/lawyers would I need to help my partner sell his house he has inherited while he is incarcerated. Thank you

My partner is currently incarcerated, he has inherited a house from his father who recently passed, who wants to take completely ownership of the house and sell it. How does the process work and what lawyer/lawyers would I need to contact to do this. Is it best to have probate or criminal law lawyer or both? I am unsure of how to ask for help from a lawyer and what lawyer I would need specifically for this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: He needs a probate attorney to help him get the house transferred from his father's estate and into his name, and then he needs a real estate attorney (and maybe also a real estate broker) to help him sell the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.