Pueblo, CO asked in Family Law and Child Support for Colorado

Q: I received a settlement offer about child support fm my son's father & I don't know if its the best choice or even legal

The settlement offer is for 1/2 the amount he owes claiming he will pay my son and i a lump sum if I cancel the child support order

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Whether you accept it is up to you. You are entitled to the full amount - though not in a lump sum.

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You may or may not want to accept the offer. It depends on whether you can realistically collect the full amount owed. Also, interest accrues at 12% per annum, compounded monthly, on unpaid child support-so the amount owed may be more than you realize. Also, this probably should not affect the right to FUTURE payments. You should consult with an attorney to help you decide what to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.