Henrico, VA asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: Can manager of motel where I work and live for past 3 yrs raise my rent if I no longer work for him

He threatened to raise my rent if I quit him

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: There are two relationships involved in your reported situation. One is the employer-employee relationship. The other is the landlord-tenant relationship. I will only address the landlord-tenant relationship because I do not handle employment law matters. If you have a written lease, the landlord does not have a right to increase the rent during the lease term. If there is no written lease and you have a month-to-month oral tenancy, the landlord has the right to increase the rent after giving the tenant a 30 day written notice and the tenant can remain in the premises and pay the increased rent or vacate the premises and find a new place to rent from a different landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.