Queens, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: Is it possible to get charges dropped even before arrest is made?

I filed a police report when he broke 2 of my car windows that night when I broke up with him. I told him that I wanted to return the car to him, since he gave me that car just a few months ago (he used to own that same car) and I told him that night of the incident. I didn't know what to do the night of the incident so I called the police because a stranger told me to get a police report and use it to file a claim on my car insurance. I told the police I don't want him to get arrested, nor planning to press charges. I thought it would be good to have options on how to go about fixing the damage. Days later, I realized I didn't want to file a claim on my insurance and bought the parts online instead. When I got the parts, I gave the car back to him w/ signed title (transfer of ownership), receipt for cost of parts. He then paid me in cash the following day, and he fixed the car windows himself. Now police are asking him to turn himself in, because as per the police, the state is prosec

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Arbeit
Michael Arbeit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Freeport, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: At this point, it may not be possible to avoid an arrest. But, if you do not want to move forward, you have no obligation to speak with the prosecutor or sign any paperwork. If you do that, a lawyer that knows what they are doing Will get the matter dismissed. Your friend should consult with an attorney immediately for proper representation

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.