Alexandria, VA asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: wife left about two and a half years ago and absent, has a closed child abuse case, confirmed by hospital, wants custody

My wife left about two and a half years ago. We believe mental illness to be involved. She hasn’t sought help and has been almost completely absent in that time. She, in august 2019, came home briefly and beat my daughter and left about 15 welts on her legs. She was terrified of spoons for about a year following. Cps, the police, the hospital, and the courts were involved. They offered her a plea deal to take parenting classes and they would drop it. This is even though abuse was confirmed by the hospital. She recently came back and wants custody. What is the likelihood of this happening?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy E. Howie
Timothy E. Howie
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Unlikely. But the situation is apparently very complicated, and one can never be certain what one judge will do. You need to retain a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.