Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Car Accidents for Florida

Q: If "A" clearly ran a stop sign and t-boned my truck, how can he have insurance without pip? Witnesses -yes Lose my trk

I lose my trk to the towing co. I had basic coverage and shared no responsibility in the crash. I hurt my hip.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the other vehicle is one with 4 wheels, it is not possible for it to have auto insurance that excluded PIP - but in any event, that driver's PIP coverage, if any, would be for the purpose of covering THAT driver's medical bills. It is the LIABLITY coverage of that driver's policy that covers your damage in the event the accident was that driver's fault. Property damage liability is currently legally required, so if the other driver had any auto insurance, it would have included property damage liability. Bodily liability coverage is not required, which is why it's important, on you OWN policy to carry Uninsured/Underinsured coverage (also known as "UM" coverage). You own PIP covers your own medical bills up to an extent, then the other driver's bodily liability coverage, if any, would kick in, not only for your medical bills, for also for pain & suffering damages. If the other driver had NO bodily liability coverage, then your UM coverage, if any, would kick in for the above. If there's no bodily liability coverage and no UM coverage, there's no insurance money available for your bodily injuries beyond your PIP, but you could still sue the other driver - and an issue there would be collectibility.

By the way, the law on what coverages are required might be changing as of next January, depending on whether the governor signs a particular bill into law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.