Huntington Beach, CA asked in Uncategorized for California

Q: If family is still living in house of deceased person, but house is inherited by another, how do you get them to leave?

My son and his family were living with my aunt. She is now deceased, and I have the home. I need to sell, how do I get the family out?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jackie Marie Howard
Jackie Marie Howard
  • Roseville, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your Aunt owned the house individually, a probate administration in court will be necessary to get legal authority to evict the tenants (if they won't leave voluntarily). You said that you have the house. Are you on the deed? More information would help to provide you with a more thoroughly accurate answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.