Batesville, MS asked in Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: My husband and I remarried in 2020. He is a disabled vet and doesn’t pay taxes. I filed a joint tax return at the end.

They took the taxes even though he doesn’t pay taxes to pay back child support on our case. The case was closed in March after they took our taxes. However, we still can’t get out taxes released

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William R. Wright
William R. Wright
  • Ridgeland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: I really don't have enough facts to be confident about my answer. However, I am assuming you meant that the IRS took your refund. If either joint filer has a back child support issue, any refunds can be confiscated by the IRS. I don' t believe that the IRS will release the confiscated refunds. If he still owes back child support, you should not file jointly with him until you are confident that he is current with his child support obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.