Dallas, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: My father in law passed away 15 years ago , my mother in law now wishes to sell the house they shared ( bought in 1989)

The deed is in both their names but apparently is not listed as joint tenancy or survivorship , can she sell the house since her name is on the deed and he passed or does it have to be probated from 2006 ( year he died ) (home value is approx 40k)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If the property was not in joint tenancy, your father's 1/2 interest in the property would have to go through probate in order to pass good title. His interest would go to his heirs at law if he died without a will or would pass to those named in his will. In either case, his interest would have to go through probate. She could sell her 1/2 interest in the property if she could find a buyer for it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.