Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Michigan

Q: My son stole my car title and gave it to his grandfather. (Due to him thinking I owed his grandfather a debt.

I attempted to file charges on him today. Officer refused, because he said, I should have filed 2 months ago, when I found out. I wasn't sure 2 months ago. Today, I am sure. What recourse do I have? My son is 29 and has not lived with me for 7 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Has the title been signed over to grandfather? In other words, did your son forge your signature? If he just stole the physical title, you can get a new title from the Secretary of State. If you do discover that a title has been actually signed over, I would think the police would be more interested in that.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.