Wadsworth, OH asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: My kids Dad took me to court for custody when I left the abusive relationship I could not afford a lawyer. He was given

He was awarded custody and lied about everything . He never took the kids to live with him. That was Feb 2020. I was ordered to pay support. I have the kids 90% of the time. I’m currently being treated for stage 2 breast cancer. I’m unable to get a job until I finish chemo and recover from surgery that is scheduled for August 4 2021. He has gotten the stimulus checks for the children and the child tax credit. Me and the kids have no income coming in currently and rely on government assistance to survive. I desperately need to to modify the custom and support order, but have no funds to do so. He keeps telling me he is going to give my legal rights back to me. It’s been a year since he started telling me that and nothing has happened. He is also a pathological liar. He also makes $65,000 a year. How can I get help with this? Legal aid is not taking these cases due to the coronavirus.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Check with your local domestic relations court to find out if they have a legal clinic to help those without an attorney. The forms you need are available on line. Also use the Find a Lawyer tab to call around to local family law attorneys. You might find one to work with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.