Colorado Springs, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: My ex won't return my dog. She claims I gave him to her. What court do I file a lawsuit in to get my dog back?

I have the purchase receipt in my name only. I also had to get my mother's permission to buy the dog, since I'm living at home and attending college. We're both listed on the veterinarian records Although she filled them out and put her name first. Because of this this registration rabies and neuter documents are in her name. The vet bill's show me paying twice and her 3 times, but I transferred money from my account to hers to cover what she spent. My family and I have been trying for weeks to communicate with her with no response she's now blocked all ways for me to communicate. I just want my dog back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juliet Piccone
Juliet Piccone
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You would file a replevin action in the county court where the dog is assumed to be located at.

Replevin is a complicated process but you can attempt to represent yourself by using forms created by the state of Colorado. The forms are categorized under "Money Cases" for some reason.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.