Austin, TX asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: We are paying back taxes owed, but it is way more than we owed because of interest & fines. Can anything be done?

The taxes owed are due to claiming more dependents after kids left home and it was not caught until we reviewed w2 form.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: If you are paying federal taxes then you can request a one-time penalty abatement. This will abate penalties (not interest) for the first year a taxpayer owes taxes. As the name suggests this is a one-time option. Wait until you have paid the base tax due and then call the IRS and request the abatement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.