Philadelphia, PA asked in Social Security for Pennsylvania

Q: I'm 30 y.o. I'm receiving disabled adult child. If I go back to school am I always stuck at the amount of SSDI I makenow

I'm on disabled adult child with survivor benefits. If I choose to go back to school to make an actual living and I apply for SSD retirement benefits in 30 something years will my benefits match the ones I currently get because I "dipped" into social security already?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: Right now the amount you are paid is based off your parent’s earnings record. If you go to school and then work until you reach retirement age you will draw a retirement amount based on your own earnings record. Your current benefits will stop once you are deemed able to work by Social Security - either through a regular review or because you are actually working.

If you engage in actual substantial gainful activity for awhile and then find you can no longer work you likely will have made yourself ineligible for the current disabled adult child benefits you receive and would only be eligible for SSI. If you don’t earn enough (10 years of credits) before retirement age and you are no longer eligible for the disability benefits you now get then you will not get regular retirement benefits either.

I always caution adults who receive disabled adult child benefits to make sure they full understand the potential outcomes if they believe that they can work and attempt to work.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.