Olathe, KS asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Kansas

Q: My x boyfriend is wanting to get reimburse for the down payment he gave me for our house

He is wanting money back for down payment and part ownership to my house. He isn’t on the Mortage and never paid a payment but one. Is there a chance judge can grant him ownership to something he doesn’t owned? None of the bills is under his name. He isn’t on the deed or Mortage. He never put his name on anything. Does he have a chance!?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Your question does not indicate that either your ex-boyfriend or you are asserting that you are common law married. If someone asserts common law marriage, the answer below might not apply.

Your "x" provided some money for the downpayment and made one mortgage payment. How much rent did x pay? How many months of free rent did he have? How much did he pay for electricity? gas? water and sanitation? Repairs? Groceries? How much did did he pay for the home-cooked meals? Laundry you did? Cleaning? There tends to be an inverse relationship between the audacity and gall displayed and the merits of a claim asking for something that was never bargained for and that bears no relation to the relative value given. You should consult with an attorney with the specifics of the circumstance. In the meantime, don't give your x the satisfaction of upsetting you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.