Q: Can police take cell phones?..& is 18 months before even being offered a plea a violation of a right to a speedy trial?

Defendant was indicted on charge for poss.of g2 cs 1-4g’s. After a year & a 1/2 of rescheduling court dates, prosecutor offered a plea bargain that was reluctantly accepted by defendant after advise from court appointed counsel.

Defendant believes counsel was overwhelmed & therefore ineffective by not addressing the numerous & egregious constitutional violations.

Among several rights violations, was the confiscation of defendant’s cellular device. Because, to date, it has yet to be returned.

Defendant’s arrest was result of a traffic stop where law enforcement officers alleged a minor traffic infraction (improperly signaling lane change.)

Without cause, defendant was immediately asked to exit the vehicle & submit to a pat down.

Video footage from law enforcement’s patrol vehicle shows that the defendant did, in fact, signal properly.

It is the defendant’s firm belief that the stated reason for initiating the stop was a known false pretext, & the stop was conducted in bad faith.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD

A: First, I am not a Texas lawyer. But I believe that the initial procedure you should explore is a motion before the trial court to nullify your plea. I would assume that in the questions you were asked before entering that plea, is that you have given up any right to appeal. So the first thing is to deal with your plea, and you could in that motion (or possibly post-conviction) argue what you have said above.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.