Atlanta, GA asked in Contracts for Georgia

Q: My boyfriend was signed to a major recording label as a minor , to get his record deal money his parents had to sign off

On the contract because he was underaged. Now my boyfriend is 20 and would like the remainder of his money. His parents are moving his money from out his account so he can’t use it unless they give him permission. Is there any way for him to receive what he earned?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Great question. Since he was a minor at the time, his parents would have had to give their permission for him to be legally bound by the agreement. Additionally, they would most likely be the ones receiving any money from the agreement, with the understanding that once he becomes 18, that everything would revert to him.

A provision like this should be in the agreement, but if not, then he has the option of filing an injunction with court. An injunction is a court order directing a party to do or not do something. In this case, the order would direct the parents to immediately stop taking money from his account and to return any money that has already been removed. My law firm handles cases like this so feel free to give me call.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.