Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: What to do if attorney is ignoring case?

I recently hired an attorney for help with a missed court appearance for my name change case. I sent the attorney his check in March and he accepted and signed for it too. Since then, I have barely heard from him, and he has never talked to me without me calling. He needs to file a motion, which he hasn't done in four months of being my attorney. Four months is a long time to wait for a motion to be filed. I'm at the point where I want a refund and a new attorney. What are my options? Do I send a letter giving a time frame to file the motion or a refund instead?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You simply send him an email or a letter stating that you are terminating his services effectively immediately, and that you demand a 100% refund. You might state the reason for the termination, but it is not necessary. You have the absolute right to fire him no matter what the reason. You can also mention that you will contact the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (ARDC) If you do not get a prompt refund of the unused portion of the fee you paid, He will definitely respond if the ARDC becomes involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.