Sacramento, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: How does reversed burglary affect pc 220b conviction?

My son was convicted of 220b. The appellate court reversed the burglary saying it was a lesser included and an enhancement of 220a1. How does this affect his conviction/sentence?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Anaheim, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: What most likely happened here was that your son was convicted on both counts, but the appellant court reasoned that one of the counts (220a) was a lesser included offense of the substantive count (220b). For this reason, the conduct comprising the lesser count is already fully considered by conviction on the substantive count, and therefore the additional conviction was inappropriate. The conviction on the substantive count remains. As for the sentence, the sentence would also remained unchanged unless there was some type of remand order from the appellate court instructing the trial court to resentence. In any case, you should consult with an experienced criminal appellate lawyer to make sure your rights and privileges are protected.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

John Karas agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.