Irvington, NJ asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Maryland

Q: how do the police determined Adverse Possession

how do the police determined Adverse Possession

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: They don't. Not their decision or jurisdiction to make such determinations. The person claiming adverse possession must file a lawsuit in court against the titled owner for the purpose of divesting the titled owner of title to the land, based on the person in possession of the property proving evidence that meets the legal requirements for granting ownership under the law of adverse possession. Until a court of law enters judgment in favor of the person claiming adverse possession, the police may treat the non-titled occupant or possessor of the land as a trespasser if the titled owner calls the police, or files a wrongful detainer action against the person refusing to leave the property.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.