Manchester, KY asked in Bankruptcy, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Kentucky

Q: Can a police officer backdate citations?

Bumped into a car when reversing out of a parking spot Halloween of 2020. No damage, victim didn’t want to call police. Found out when contacted my insurance company, my coverage lapsed. Got that taken care of but first week of December 2020, victim called police to have police report done. Ended up with uninsured citation. Victims “claimed” damages is over $2000. Filed bankruptcy on insurance claim for damages. Still have to appear in court a second time, no judgment has been made yet, been appointed an attorney but haven’t been contacted back yet. Can an officer cite me in December for an infraction two months prior and isn’t there a 10 day limit on police reports?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: No. They cannot legally backdate citations or reports.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.