Americus, GA asked in Child Custody for Alabama

Q: I live in Georgia my ex-wife and I have joint legal custody of our 2 children with her as the primary custodian

She moved to Alabama to live with a boyfriend 2 years ago, they got married recently, since the move I only have visitation on school holidays and summer break. She never notified the court of her move or modified our parenting plan because of the move.My son now does not want to return to Alabama and she refuses to discuss him living with me.So I know I’ll have to take this to court question is does it have to be in Alabama? it best to get an attorney in Alabama versus from Georgia where I live?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: It all depends on where your divorce was handled. If your divorce was in GA you can file in GA as GA would have jurisdiction as long as at least one person with custody continues to reside there. Your ex may try to transfer it to Alabama after filing her own case here but you can mount a good fight. If your divorce was not in GA you are likely stuck with filing in Alabama.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.