Gilbert, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: My son's public record reads Disposition: Court Dismissal" What does that mean?

My son has a drug charge that he has not had to pay any fines on and spent less than 10 hours in jail. We live in a different county but same state. Issued a probation officer from county where we live who has indicated to my son he has a warrant for probation violation [did not do drug testing] after 2 years she gives him this news 1 month prior to end of probation period. When I looked for a warrant per the county link for warrants search, I found no warrants just the original case that shows Disposition : 'Court Dismissal'

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian C. Soto
Brian C. Soto
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I would highly recommend contacting the clerk of the court directly. Often times defendant’s are charged with multiple counts and may have, as part of a plea agreement, had some counts “dismissed by the court” while being convicted of a separate count.

Hopefully, your sons case is dismissed entirely. Contacting the court directly is the best way to know for certain.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.