Cleveland, OH asked in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Kentucky

Q: Can I sue for malpractice?

I got hurt back in February and the doctors kept telling me I was okay I went and got a bunch of mri’s through the course of February through the end of school before I left my campus and through the football season the doctor kept telling me I was okay so I had to keep playing football until the last game where I just couldn’t play at all due to self restrictions then after the season the week before school got out I got another mri and the doctor told me I was fine and just needed to not workout for about 2 weeks then I could continue to my regular work out schedule. When I got here to Cleveland where my parents live my moms doctor is a doctor for the Cleveland browns so she forced me to go to the doctor and he tried to get the mri results from my other doctor at school but they refused to send the mri results so the doctor here just made me go get a mri to find out that I had 2 tears in my knee and had to have surgery and now I don’t know if I’m going to be able to play at the beg

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: A lot depends on what was shown. It's possible that going into the MRI's you had a predisposing condition. following the additional playing, that might have been the tear, but the question is what was shown when. You may have a case, you may have a case against the school--a lawyer would need to see the medical records. I suggest you request your medical records and a copy of your MRI's and results, which is your right under the ACA. Talk to an attorney who is a member of the Assn for Justice of the state where you were going to school, ideally one in that general vicinity, who centers their practice on malpractice. They give free consults.

If you can't locate such an attorney feel free to give me a call.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.