Philadelphia, PA asked in Social Security for Indiana

Q: I get ssdi benefits for myself. I have a disabled 6 year old son in my home. Should I apply for ssi for him separately?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: You can apply for SSI benefits if your household is financially eligible. You should also file for dependent (sometimes called auxiliary) benefits for him. Those benefits are available if your payment is high enough and are based on your receipt of SSDI. There is no requirement that a minor child be disabled to receive those payments.

Susan Michele Schaefer agrees with this answer

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Yes, you should apply for Child SSI for your disabled son who lives with you. Income and resource requirements must be met for your son to be eligible. Your child must also meet the definition of disability for Child SSI which is a child is he has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment (or combination of impairments); the impairment(s) results in marked and severe functional limitations; and the impairment(s) has lasted (or is expected to last) for at least one year or result in death. See,

I agree with Ms. Lunn that your son may also qualify for auxiliary benefits based on your SSDI record. For more information go to

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.