Arlington, VA asked in Contracts for New Jersey

Q: Contract for an "as is" car sale. Dealership charged me less, contract signed, now they want more money.

I put a deposit down for 300 on the car and was told it was 5,500. I signed a receipt that had the totals written down for my deposit.

The following day I showed up to get the paperwork done. They accidentally wrote the contract out for 3,500 instead. I paid in full, both parties signed, and I left with the vehicle. They were going to take care of tag and title transfer.

A couple days later, they call and leave an email stating that I still owe 2,000 because I signed the deposit receipt. So they will not proceed with anything until I pay the rest.

Am I required to pay the additional money because of the deposit receipt? Or are they required to stick to the contract that we have signed for the car sale, that I paid in full.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: By the way you have written it many judges would find that you owe the additional $2K since it was a mistake that you were aware of and failed to discuss it with the dealer. But again we are lawyers and we can only guestimate what a judge will do the decision is always up to the judge.

Morris Leo Greb agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.