Lakeland, FL asked in Family Law for Mississippi

Q: Is alimony and child support awarded by the court in Mississippi a public record?

I have a step daughter whom was married and divorced over three years ago to a prominent doctor. They had three children all minors born from the marriage. I continue to support her as she said she receives zero alimony or child support from the ex husband. I have gone by her word in this matter. However, I find this difficult to believe. How can I confirm the courts ruling in this case?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: The court records are open to the public. Go to the chancery court in the county where the divorce was entered. Give they clerk her name and her ex’s name and ask to see the file. The final Order will be there.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.