Springfield, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: A hotel lost my property what is my legal recourses

I forgot my wallet and a wristlet at a New Hampshire hotel that I stayed at over the last weekend they first said that they had it then they said that they didn't have it then they said yes we did have it but it got stolen while in our possession, and that it may have been a employee who took it. I just would like what are my legal options.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dakota Martin
Dakota Martin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: As annoying as this is for you it's not a criminal question. I guess it could be IF they would tell you the name of the employee who took it. You could seek a criminal complaint against him or her. I think that would be a waste of time and recommend being professional and polite with management. Your cards can be replaced, your license as well ***though it's a real inconvenience. Proving the amount of cash may be difficult. Perhaps they will comp your room or another stay. ****If you'd consider staying there again. Don't forget, they didn't want their employee to commit a crime any more than you wanted to be the victim of a crime. They want happy customers....I hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.