Oil City, LA asked in Tax Law for Louisiana

Q: i have a property that is in my deceased mothers name a tax notice was not received to pay taxes on the property so it

sold without me knowing found out notices were sent to address that had no box so no certified receipt was signed can i be required to pay redemption of property fee to nullify the sale

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You should speak to both a property or real estate attorney and a succession attorney to answer your question contained in your post and to get this property out of your mother's name. I am fairly certain the redemption must be paid as the property owner has some obligation to notify the assessor where to send notices and failure to do so is on the property owner and not the assessor----but a property or real estate attorney should be able to confirm this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.