Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Idaho

Q: Can my childs mother keep my son from visiting me before court ordered custody is established in idaho

She has been refusing me visitation with our son, i moved to idaho to be near him.

We got married but she didnt turn in paperwork

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Yes she can. At this point, until you establish parental RIGHTS to your child, the ONLY thing Idaho gives you are RESPONSIBILITIES! Financial responsibilities. However, just because you're paying child support, that doesn't bestow a SINGLE RIGHT on you. To get RIGHTS to a child, you have to earn them. Moving near to be with them is a good, first step. Paying CS timely every month, whether you ever see your child, is a good, second step! Judges WILL give you rights, but until they do, DON'T throw your weight around and make threats! Bad decision! If you do that, she's liable to go get a Civil protection Order against you! THAT would REALLY SUCK!

You need to get a lawyer and file!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.