Pompano Beach, FL asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: What's can happen if my ex husband filed a opposition to the decision the magistrate made our marriage is dissolve?

He wasn't showed up and he new that was the final hearing and now he filed a petition against the magistrate 's decision and even wrote to USCIS after my i-751 was approved without him involved and i got my green card can that change anything on my case please?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Camila Martin
Camila Martin
  • Miami Lakes, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In Family Court, a party can file exceptions to a Magistrate's report within ten days after the report is signed by the magistrate. Then the exceptions are heard by the Judge and a transcript must be provided so the Judge can make a determination on whether or not the exceptions will be granted or denied. If the exceptions are denied, the Judge signs an order adopting the Magistrate's report. If your Husband did not show up to the hearing, the exceptions may be denied, but that would depend on his reasons for not being there and many other factors. As to your immigration portion of the question, please consult with an immigration attorney as to how this delay may affect your situation.

DISCLAIMER: The answer provided here do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made are based on the limited facts you have provided and are general statements that might not be applicable to your case based on other factors. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with a local attorney. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in the State of Florida. Camila Martin, Esq.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.