Philadelphia, PA asked in Estate Planning for South Carolina

Q: My Aunt recently committed suicide after selling her house. She had no will and left no note

She just sold her house in in NC and moved in with my Dad(her brother) in SC. I had been talking to her a lot recently and she had told me several times she felt like something was going to happen to her and she didn't want my dad to have her money. Being she has no surviving spouse, parents or children that's exactly who the money will go to. Without any written proof is there anything I can do? He has already filed a probate also

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If the facts you related are true, there is nothing you can do. Her husband will inherit. The only exception would be if you can prove that she did not kill herself; rather, her husband killed her. If he killed her, then he does not inherit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.