Asked in DUI / DWI for Alabama

Q: Can ALEA overide a judges order

I received a DUI almost 10 years ago to the day that I received a second DUI I went before the judge my lawyer said it was best to plead guilty (court appointed) I did. I did everything I was ordered to do no infractions what so ever and had a Interlock device in my car until it was deemed totaled by insurance. Contacted the place the device came from and was told that I no longer needed the device per the judges order which they emailed me a copy. Does AlEA override that judges order on my interlock device and my license.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Can you clarify your question? What do you mean by ALEA overriding the judges order? Are you referring to them removing a restriction from your license or have they indicated they believe you still require a interlock device regardless of the judges order?

If the judges order for use of the interlock device has terminated and ALEA is telling you that you are still required to have one, you should contact an attorney about filing something with the court to get that issue cleared up. (if you have not paid all of your fees associated with the interlock, court costs, and restitution that may be an issue.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.