Staten Island, NY asked in Banking and Probate for New York

Q: Person not participating in inheritance procedures.

My brother refuses to be involved in signing papers needed regarding my fathers estate. My mother’s bank accounts are frozen and they have a house in PR. Also my father sold his car to his brother in PR before dying but no title was signed my brother refuses to sign an affidavit giving up his share of the vehicle like the rest of have to my uncle. He refuses by having no contact what’s so ever with family or returning affidavits.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Probate Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If a required family member will not sign waivers, the party seeking to file the Petition for Probate or Administration will be required to seek the service of Citations from the Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.