Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Custody for Arizona

Q: I want to file for custody of my son. We have a protection order against his father. I’m not sure how would go in court

His father is severely mentally ill has been for the past 2 years and it has gotten out of hand on top of drug use and homelessness from the father

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randi Sirlin
Randi Sirlin
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I do not know the status of your matter (whether there are any prior orders or whether you are starting a new case) and I am not able to give you legal advice without knowing more information, but whether you have an ongoing case or not, you will want to gather as much evidence as possible and then there are various legal motions and petitions which can be filed to secure your legal rights. I recommend you contact an experienced family law attorney to seek further information and advice regarding your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.