Owosso, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: My best friend is being raped by her husband and needs to leave state with her two kids. She lives in Mississippi.

I need to figure out how to get them legally out of state. They are coming to Michigan and I want to make sure that we do this right.

1 Lawyer Answer
William R. Wright
William R. Wright
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ridgeland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: This is a terrible situation. I am assuming the two children are also your friend's husband's children. There is no law prohibiting her travel out of state with her children. If Michigan is where she has friends or family, that is the logical destination for her on a temporary basis. If she intends to re-locate to Michigan, that is a different story and will require a more complicated and detailed answer concerning child custody jurisdiction. Also, you friend needs to call law enforcement in Mississippi immediately if she if being raped. If he is arrested and later convicted of a crime, your friend's custodial posture will be less complicated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.