Asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: What is the procedure for representing one’s self (pro se) as a defendant in a criminal case (Florida)?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Louis Cagan
Leonard Louis Cagan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You will be required to follow all of the same rules that an attorney would be required to follow. A Pro Se defendant does not get special treatment. You will need to:

1. Let the court know you intend to represent yourself

2. Register for the E-filing portal

3. Draft and e-file a Notice/Demand for Discovery

4. Research and e-file any motions, notices of hearing etc.

5. Review the discovery and determine any legal issues

6. Negotiate with State Attorney in writing or in court because they will not talk to you

7. Prepare the case for trial if all negotiations break down

8. ETC.

There is a lot more to it than that but this should help you get the picture. If you can't afford an attorney you would be much better off with a public defender. Although they are severely overworked, they have much more experience than you do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.