Dallas, TX asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: What do I do in a situation where the Domestic Abuse is more Mental?

On the daily, I get called things like Filthy trash, horrible wife. He has me isolated. He now has some of my own Family turn against me. Keeps me home with no ride, no money, no phone. I'm at home everyday with my kids, while he's out and about living his life. I feel like he pushes my buttons just to record my actions. So everyone will believe him when he says I'm crazy. If I tell him something hurts my feelings, he turns around and uses that against me. I dont know what to do. He's already told me, divorce and allamony is too expensive. We been together 20 yes, married 15. Thats what he cares about? All he does lately is try to hurt me, he doesn't want to listen, actually hear anything I say. He will flip out on me randomly so he can leave. I no longer feel safe. I feel like he is always listening to me and then mocking me. I'm not the only one whose heard his voice while he wasn't at home either. If I bring it up though, im crazy. I have no one in my life I can trust.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Get a job, start stashing money, get an apartment, move out and file for divorce. Under Louisiana law, verbal abuse is only domestic abuse if he threatens physical violence. Without a threat, it is just being nasty.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.