Thomaston, GA asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Georgia

Q: I have a warrent for identity theft If its my 2nd charge and I'm not on probation can i get a bond

If I pay the card ofd then turn myself in will it help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It will be up to the discretion of a judge if they permit bond. However, your alleged crime is not one that poses substantial risk of physical harm to others, so it is likely they would let you bond out, unless you have prior charges other than identity theft.

With regard to turning yourself in you should speak with a criminal defense attorney in your area about the benefit and risks of such activity. (My personal thought is if you have the money to pay off the debt that you would want to turn yourself in and keep that as a bargaining chip for a plea agreement)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.