Austin, TX asked in Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: My ex bought a dog 3 years ago and didn’t pay him off, so now his in collection. What can I do to legally make him mine.

I just found out that his in collection because he never paid the dog off. I’ve been taking care of “our” dog for the past year. I will pay what he owes but I want to put the dog under my name. I don’t want to give up the dog. What can I do to get custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It sounds like you already have "custody." What you want is ownership. Write up a simple agreement that he is selling you the dog in exchange for you paying off what he owes to the seller.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.