Fort Lee, NJ asked in Employment Law for New Jersey

Q: In state of NJ are you able to leave a job before your contracted term (2 years on the contract)?

I worked one year of the 2 year contract as a physician in NJ private practice group. I would like to leave. Company is saying they are gonna hold me to my 2 year contract. can they do that? can I tell them that its illegal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer

A: Whether the company can enforce the contract and sue you for a breach if you leave before 2 years is dependent on the language in your contract. You should contact an employment law attorney in your area to review the contact terms and discuss your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.