Pompano Beach, FL asked in Business Formation for Florida

Q: want to get a Dba and i have to publish it in newspaper not sure how and what address i will put if my store is online

I will be starting a online business and decided to go with sole proprietor. And i have doing some research and i want to get a Dba and i know im supposed to publish it in a news paper but not really sure how and i know im supposed to put an address also for the newspaper but my business will be on a website what exactly do i need to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Keith Kanouse
Keith Kanouse
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In Florida, Section 865.09 of the Florida Statutes requires the one-time publication of a legal notice of the fictitious name in a newspaper in the county where the principal place of the business will be located. I believe your residence address would be the location of your business.. After publication, the newspaper sends you a proof of publication. Upon receipt of the proof of publication, you can electronically file of a fictitious name registration with the Florida Department of State through www.sunbiz.com. Section 865.09 of the Florida Statutes provides that:

A person may not engage in business under a fictitious name unless the person first registers the name with the division by filing a sworn statement listing:

(a) The name to be registered.

(b) The mailing address of the business.

(c) The name and address of each owner and, if a business entity, its federal employer’s identification number and Florida incorporation, organization or registration number.

(d) Certification by the applicant that the intention to register such fictitious name has been advertised at least once in a newspaper as defined in chapter 50 in the county where the principal place of business of the applicant will be located.

Such statement shall be accompanied by the applicable processing fee (currently, $50)

Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a fictitious name registered as provided in this section for a corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, or limited partnership is not required to contain the designation of the type of legal entity in which the person or business is organized, including the terms “corporation,” “limited liability company,” “limited liability partnership,” “limited partnership,” or any abbreviation or derivative thereof.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.